Yoga: The Benefits of Strengthening Both Body and Mind
Posted by Shane on
The practice of yoga has become widely popular for its ability to improve one’s well-being. The main goal of this practice is to unite the mind and body to achieve inner peace and healthier lifestyle.
Yoga comes in different forms ranging from gentle or relaxing movements to fast-paced or intense poses. Some of the most popular yoga forms are:
- Hatha - The most common form associated with yoga which combines breathing and a series of basic body movements.
- Vinyasa - Vinyasa uses a series of yoga poses that flow smoothly into one another.
- Power - A high-intensity, fast-paced practice that focuses on building muscles.
- Ashtanga - This form combines a special breathing technique with a series of yoga poses.
- Bikram - Also known as “hot yoga”, Bikram is performed in a heated room and involves a series of 26 challenging poses.
- Iyengar - This form of yoga uses different props like straps, chairs, and blocks to help the body move easily into proper alignment.
Apart from the physical benefits, yoga has so much to offer. Below are the top 10 health-promoting benefits of this mind-body ancient practice:
1. Improves Flexibility
- Improving flexibility is an incredible benefit you can get from yoga. It effectively tones and stretches the muscles, making your body supple and flexible.
2. Strengthens Muscles
- Yoga poses help strengthen the muscles to avoid common problems like back pain and arthritis. Various yoga postures are meant for strength training and through continuous yoga sessions, you’ll be able to balance muscle strength and flexibility.
3. Corrects Posture
- Poor posture can cause various joint and muscle problems especially in elderly people. Basic yoga poses that include twists and back and forward bends will help protect the spine and correct poor posture.
4. Reduces Stress Levels
- Many people choose this mind-body practice as their go-to fitness routine because aside from physical benefits, yoga can be a great way to reduce stress. It is advised to practice the Sri Sri Yoga Level 2 program to experience its calming effects.
5. Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
- Making yoga part of your healthy lifestyle reduces the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol level.
6. Improves Cognitive Function
- This ancient form of exercise has the ability to enhance your memory and focus. Thus, improving your overall brain function.
7. Boosts Immunity
- Yoga practice boost immunity at a cellular level by improving your overall health. Yoga also enhances body movements, increases blood flow, and helps organs function better.
8. Improves Sense of Balance
- Focusing on Iyengar yoga form improves balance and alignment particularly for adults.
9. Weight Loss
- Yoga is one of the safest ways to lose weight. Through regular yoga classes, one could be encouraged to live a healthier lifestyle.
10. Improves Sleep Quality
- Several research have found that regular yoga practice significantly improves sleep quality and helps alleviate insomnia.